I bought 1426 Ives Pl SE on 12/08/2010.

This is a photo chronology of the demo and remodeling.

Monday, March 7, 2011

I fought the law...

and I won.

This whole issue with the engineering section of the DCRA Permitting office making me build up my parapet walls is over.  I received a phone call from the deputy Chief of Permitting on Friday morning with my two reviewers, asking what my side of the argument was.

I explained that nothing in the 2006 IBC (International Building Code), NFPA 101 (The Life Safety Code), the 2006 IRC (International Residential Code), and DCMR Title 12 (DC's amendments to the IRC and IBC) says that a fire wall needs to be constructed between a roof deck and adjacent properties.  I was originally told that this requirement was decided internally at the DCRA and hasn't been published anywhere.  Then I was told that Section 705.6 of the 2006 IBC requires it.  It doesn't.  During this conference call, I was told by the reviewers that the IBC considers a roof deck a 3rd floor, which is a complete lie.

I planned on submitting revised drawings showing these changes while continuing to fight the requirement.  As I was at FedEx Office, I received a call from one of the reviewers stating that they reviewed my arguments and decided not to enforce this (arbitrary) rule.

I took on the city and came out on top.  Today is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment